Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Aspen shoot in the area of Basalt, Colorado.

Aspen shoot in the area of Basalt, Colorado.






"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 250
Shutter - 1/640 sec
F/stop - 10
Lens - 70/200 zoom


LOCATION.
1. Basalt, Colorado is a half hour south of Glenwood Springs.
2. It is about a three hour and a half drive from Denver.
3. Areas photographed are Frying Pan River, Rudi Reservoir, and Forest Road 400.


CHALLENGE.
Any time you go out shooting the aspens, a number of things have to come together for a great shot.
The trees have to be near peak, good light, snow on mountains and a some nice clouds in the sky. On this shoot the mountains had no snow and the sky was about 95% clouds. I like clouds but sometimes you could be clouded out of any good light. The challenge would be to get a great shot with out these elements.


SOLUTION.
While driving along Forest Service Rd. 400, I spotted this nice section of aspens. The mountains in the back ground had no snow but this location still showed some promise. It was early afternoon and not worth shooting yet, but I took a mental note of this spot. The sky was completely covered with clouds most of the day but started to break up a little in the evening. I went back to this spot and camped out, waiting to see if any light would hit this location. An hour wait and then the sun broke through, only on the aspens, leaving the mountains deep in shadow. Just by taking the light reading off the bright trees in the foreground, would cause the mountains to go black. This made up for the lack of snow. I was real pleased with this image.



OTHER PHOTOS FROM THIS SHOOT.




























ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape Photographer
303-674-0615





About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive