Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: City & County Building's Holiday Lights - Denver, Colorado

City & County Building's Holiday Lights - Denver, Colorado




 “X Shot” Information

Camera - Canon- EOS Mark III
ISO - 1250
Lens - Canon- 16 - 35 zoom
F/stop - 4
Shutter - 1/100 sec.


Due to Christmas this week, I stayed in town for this blog. I heard that the Denver City and County Building had been decorated this year with 1,000 LED spotlights, 585 LED fixtures and 2,000 LED rope lights for the first time, so I headed down the hill to check it out. I parked my car close by and walked over to the building to get a light reading. If I didn’t have to lug my tripod around, that would be great. I wanted at least a shutter speed of 100 and I was able to do that with an ISO of 1250 and f/stop of 4. Back at my jeep, I grabbed my Canon Mark III and my camera bag with a number of lens. Since my camera had just been returned from a shutter repair, I wanted to give it a good test before heading out of town again. The color of these lights seemed more vivid than the old ones and had more contrast as well. I spent an hour working my way around the building checking out different photo angles. Towards the end of my shoot I stepped back to the street and found a guy selling glow sticks and then some reflections on car windows. I also played with shooting at a slow shutter speed, hand held, moving the camera during the long exposure. I had done this a couple of weeks ago at Hudson Gardens and had good results. I had a fun shoot and the Mark III worked just great. As a reminder, always make sure your camera is working properly after a repair by testing it on something unimportant. I did this here because I had a second camera if needed, and these lights will be turned on every night through New Year’s Eve. I considered this a safe test. If you miss seeing the lights during the holidays, they will be turned on again every night during the National Western Stock Show, January 9 - 24, 2010.






























“X Shot” Location Information

1. City and County Building is located on Bannock St.
    between Colfax and 14th Ave.
2. West end of Civic Center Park.
3. Parking on streets around City and County is all
    metered, make sure you have quarters, 4 per hour.
5. Dress warm, viewing is at night, starting at 6 pm.

Ken Papaleo
Colorado Photography


All photographs for sale, contact e-mail address below
kenpapaleo@highcountrycoloring.com




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive