Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Maroon Bells, Aspen Colorado, Fall Colors.

Maroon Bells, Aspen Colorado, Fall Colors.







"X Shot" information.
Canera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 400
Shutter - 1/80
F/stop - 16
Lens - 24/70 zoom


LOCATION.
1. Drive time from Denver to the Maroon Bells is about 4 hours.
2. Park is open until snow forces the road to be closed.
3. These photos were shot almost two weeks ago, not sure what color is left at this time.


CHALLENGE.
Every time I go to take pictures at the Maroon Bells I'm amazed by the number of photographers that line the shore-line of the lake, shoulder to shoulder, with their tripods, shooting the same shot. They will wait for hours, with out changing locations. If all things go right, this is a amazing shot, but you and about 80 of your closest friends get the about the same image. I know there are excellent photographers among theses shooters and I'm not making fun of them, I just don't understand why they take part in this yearly ritual. The challenge would be to get a nice picture of the bells with out the reflection in the lake. 



SOLUTION.
When I showed up at the bells, the shore-line was already packed and it was raining, with foggy conditions. Not great shooting weather but I always go out and shoot, no matter what the weather. The rain was heavy at times, so I decided to go light with my gear. I took one body, with my 24-70 zoom on it, extra batteries and flash cards, all under a big golf umbrella. Walking past the line of shooters, I made my way to the other side of the lake in the rain. By getting closer I was able to get a clean shot of the mountains, with nice colorful trees in the foreground. The Bells had new snow and the peaks were in the clouds. No nice light but it still was a real nice image. I shot for about two hours with this set up, making my way back to my starting place. By than most of the photographers had left and so had most of the fog. I was able to get the reflection shot in just a few minutes, along with the rest of my take.


OTHER PHOTOS OF MAROON BELLS PARK FROM MY 2 DAY SHOOT.
































ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape photographer
303-674-0615


About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive