Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Sand Hill Cranes, Monte Vista, Colorado.

Sand Hill Cranes, Monte Vista, Colorado.



"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 400
Shutter - 1/2000 sec.
F/stop - 5.6
Lens - 500 mm
NOTE - Tripod was used for this photo.


LOCATION.
1. Monte Vista is about a four hour drive from Denver.
2. The Sand Hill Cranes stop in this area on their way to Idaho, to spend the summer.
3. The Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge is a good area to locate the birds.
4. The cranes will only be there for a couple more weeks, maybe.


CHALLENGE.
I go on a photo shoot here every year. The beauty and the sounds are breath taking.  The best time to go is a couple of days after the crane festival. This time I wanted to see what kind of unusual photo could be made on this shoot.


SOLUTION.
When shooting these birds, I mostly use a 500 mm lens, on a tripod and have another body with a 70-200 zoom. Mornings and late afternoon, to dark, are the best times to take pictures. First the light is the best and also the cranes are more active.  My unusual opportunity came late in the afternoon, when a flock of Snow Geese flew by, with one crane joining them. The moment lasted only seconds but I was ready and got the image. I notice that a lot of photographers enjoy getting together for conversation but I don't take part. You need to be ready for anything at anytime. After the Snow Geese flew by I heard this lady ask her husband( one of the talkers) if he got a shot of the Snow Geese and of course his answer was no. 


This will be the first of two blogs dedicated the the Sandhill Crane migration.

MORE PHOTOS FROM THIS SHOOT BELOW.










































ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Wildlife Photographer
303-674-0615


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive