Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Crested Butte Wildflowers, Colorado.

Crested Butte Wildflowers, Colorado.



"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 200
Shutter - 1/250 sec.
F/stop - 11
Lens - 24/70 zoom

LOCATION.
1. Crested butte is about 5 hour drive from Denver.
2. Wildflowers should still be great.
3. Areas to check out are Lake Irwin, Slate River Road, Washington Gulch, Gothic Road and Brush   
    Creek Road.
4. A great place to stay is the Old Town Inn.


CHALLENGE.
I checked Crested Butte's weather report for my up coming trip. Every afternoon had a good chance of thunderstorms, just the way I like it, some clouds always add to the photo. When I shoot flowers, I try not to have the images all look the same, there are ways that will prevent this from happening.


SOLUTION.
1. Try to use every lens you have, I went from a 24 mm lens to a 500 mm, on this shoot.
2. Use each lens with minimum and maximum depth-of-field.
3. Shoot flowers back-lit, make shore you have a hat or something to block the sun.
4. When shooting with a macro-lens on a windy, use a real slow shutter speed, letting the flowers be  
    blown around, during the exposure.
5. Go out in all weather and times of day. I went out in the rain and got a nice shot, just dress for it.
6. Use your strobe! One early morning shoot, the background was nicely lit (mountains, clouds) but
    the foreground (flowers) were in a deep shadow from a mountain. I used a off camera strop to light
    the flowers.
7. Use both low and high angles.
8. When shooting, don't get tunnel vision and only look for flowers. Keep you eyes open for anything
    that makes a photo and make sure you stop and shoot it. Don't go " hey look at that and than pass it
    up"
9. The wildflowers are still good, if your planning on a shoot, this is a good time!


















































Ken Papaleo
Colorado Nature Photographer
303-674-0615



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive