Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Arches National Park, Moab Utah.

Arches National Park, Moab Utah.






"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 400
Shutter - 1/500 sec.
F/stop - 4.5
Lens - 300 mm
A mono pod was used in this photo to help steady the 300 f/28 lens.



LOCATION.
1. Arches National Park, Utah, is about a 6 hour drive, west of Denver.
2. The park is near Moab, Utah, which has all kind of lodging.
3. Going last week, in the off season, I was able to get a room for $44 a night.


THE CHALLENGE.
I wanted to pick a very well know site in the park and try to come up with a unique photo.


SOLUTION.
I picked Balanced Rock as my target. Drove all around the rock, looking at close and fare away
locations. I picked this position, that was a full frame with a 300 mm lens, I liked the way the rocks
stood out in the sky. But I still needed more to add to the shot so I went back to the area around sundown. At this time of the day the sun is very low in the sky, really turning the red rocks bright red. The last piece of the shot was waiting for the night shadow to move east, toward the bass of the rocks. Now I had my picture.















































All photos are for sale, contact email address below.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape Photographer.
303-674-0615



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive