Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Mount Evans, Idaho Springs, Colorado.

Mount Evans, Idaho Springs, Colorado.



"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 400
Shutter - 1/125 sec.
F/stop - 22
Lens - 70/200 zoom


LOCATION.
1. The entrance to Mount Evans is about a 45 minute drive from Denver.
2. The summit is 1420 feet.
3. Mount Evans road is the highest paved road in North America.
4. It can be 90 degrees in Denver and be 40 degrees at the top, bring warm cloths with you.


CHALLENGE.
I knew that Mount Evans was opening for the season, May 24th at 5 pm. There had been a lot of spring snow and I wanted to get something showing that.

SOLUTION.
Arriving at the entrance at 5:15 pm, the gates were still closed. Around 6pm, someone came and the road was open.  The drive to Summit lake wasn't bad but right before the lake the road was messed up pretty bad and the snow depth was real deep. The parking lot was clear but that was it. The lake and all trails were buried beneath the snow. With no place to go, people hung out in the parking lot and that made some nice photos. Some walked on top of the snow, but they didn't go very fare. From this location I could see the road go up hill, carved out of the snow. It looked very impressive and this was going to be my "X Shot". All I had to do was make sure everything was in focus, this was accomplished by using a f/stop of 22. With the "X shot" under my belt, I started looking for wildlife, with no luck. The clouds were nice, so I shoot scenics and then the full moon rising to the east, at sunset.




























Ken Papaleo
Colorado Photographer
303-674-0615

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive