Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Williams Grand Canyon Train, Williams, Arizona.

Williams Grand Canyon Train, Williams, Arizona.



"X Shot Information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 2000
Shutter - 1/500 sec.
F/stop - 5.0
Lens - 24/70 zoom


LOCATION.
1. It is a good 12 hour drive from Denver to Williams, Arizona.
2. Travelers take the 2 1/2 hour train ride to the Grand Canyon, spend time there and head
     back in the late afternoon.  
3. For more information on the train, contact the Grand Canyon Railway  www.thetrain.com .


CHALENGE. 
I was hired to take photos on the Grand Canyon Railway, during its trip to the Canyon. It's a 2 1/2 hour ride, with a pre-boarding western show, and entertainment on the train. Taking photos in this situation, is not an easy thing. There are many windows, making it a tough exposure.

SOLUTION.
There were two ways to shot this and sense I hadn't shot on this train before, I decided to do both. On the way there, I used a high ISO, with my exposure taking from my subjects face. Having a shutter speed of 500 would get me many shots per second, which is important when trying to get that perfect face reaction.
The second procedure was done on the way back. It involved taking a light reading from outside the train window and than matching, it on your subject, with a strobe. You get way less shots per second but the result is nice. Both ways produced nice images and everything didn't have the same look.  If you want to have a fun and different Grand Canyon experience, try the train.










































Ken Papaleo
Colorado Photographer
303-674-0615

ALL PHOTO RIGHTS BELONG TO THE WILLIAMS GRAND CANYON RAILWAY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive