Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado.

Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado.


"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS Mark II
ISO - 400
Shutter - 1/250 sec.
F/stop - 11
Lens - 70/200 zoom


LOCATION.
1. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 2 hours from Denver.
2. Lodging is available in Estes Park.
3. Sunrise is around 5:30 am and sunset is around 8:30 pm, making a long day.
4. There is limited access to Bear Lake, do to road work.


CHALLENGE.
Last week my post was on, how much snow Mount Evans had. So I thought I would go to Rocky Mountain National Park and check out the size of the snow drifts on Trail Ridge Road, for this weeks post. Well as it turned out, the higher sections of the road were closed do to a snow storm. I had planned on spending two days on this shoot and the road never opened. Now I had to come up with a new approach for this shoot.

SOLUTION.
Two things came to mind. With all the spring moisture, things were really green, and there was a forest fire last year at Moraine Park. These would be the angles I would check out instead of Trail Ridge Rd.
I didn't think I would get them both in one shot, but that's what happened. When I came upon the fire scene, an erie, but beautiful image lay before me. Green spring grass was growing in the burn area.
This unusual scene was going to produce my "X Shot". 









































Ken Papaleo
Colorado Photographer
 303-674-0615



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive