Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: "From Here to Eternity" - Faith Bible Chapel - Arvada, Colorado

"From Here to Eternity" - Faith Bible Chapel - Arvada, Colorado


                                                 "X-Shot" Information.
                                      Camera - Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
                                      ISO- 1250
                                      Shutter - 1/6 sec.
                                      F/stop - 2.8
                                      Lens - 200 mm








































































I haven't shot a theatrical performance for some time but that was about to change as I drove to Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada. They were putting on an Easter performance called "From Here to Eternity" and needed some nice still images. Shooting a complete dress rehearsal is the way to go in this situation.   
Everything is exactly the same but there's no audience. This gave me the opportunity to walk all around to get the best shots without bothering anyone.
The show's lighting was tungsten and I set my camera's white balance accordingly. During the performance the exposures were continually changing so I had to keep up with it. When shooting fairly tight, auto exposure worked pretty good. The problem of washed-out images came when using a wide angle lens with auto exposure. To correct this, manual exposure was needed to get a good reading, if I had the time before the light changed again. So for the most part I used my 70-200 zoom or my 300 f/2.8 on a mono pod, with auto exposure. Everything I shot was with an f/stop of 2.8, giving me the highest shutter speed possible for that situation. Even though it is a play, there are still true moments to capture. My "X-Shot" came when I was shooting the performer for Jesus carrying the cross. The light was totally red and very low when shooting this scene. I saw the shutter speed was down to 1/6 second but shot anyway, because you never know what will work out. This image had some movement in it but the overall mood was what I liked. The performance was outstanding and I'm going back Friday to sit back and enjoy it with my family.


           "X-Shot" Information.
1. Faith Bible Chapel is at 62and and Ward Road in Arvada.
2. The performances are free.
3. Show times are Wednesday (3/31) - Friday (4/2) 7pm.
                              Saturday (4/3) - 5pm
                              Sunday (4/4) 8:45 and 11 am
4. Get there early, this is a hot show and they will fill up fast.
5. Web Page - http://www.fbci.org

Ken Papaleo
Colorado Photographer


All photographs for sale, contact e-mail address below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive