Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Flowers of the Plains

Flowers of the Plains



                                               "X-Shot" Information.
                                  Camera - Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
                                  ISO - 100
                                  Shutter - 1/200
                                  F/stop - 18
                                  Lens 16 mm












































All photographs for sale, contact e-mail address below.



 After shooting wildflowers at a number of low-elevation locations, my "X-Shot" came on the Pawnee National Grasslands. It happened just before sunset, with some clouds covering the sun. I used a very wide angle lens and an off-camera strobe to get this image. The light reading was taken from the sky and the strobe was set for the same exposure. My strobe has the ability to disperse the light in a wide area or zoom it into a narrow beam of light. I used the narrow beam to just hit the blooming flower.  The sky and the flower had the same exposure, leaving the rest of the ground black. During my visit some huge thunderstorms moved in giving me a great sky which I used in a number of photos. If you go to the grasslands make sure you wear long pants and high ankle boots to protect your legs from cactus and snake bites. Always be cautious of rattlesnakes while walking around because they are in this area.


“XShot”  Location Information
1. Drive time from Denver to Grasslands - 2  hrs.
2. Take hwy. 85 north out of Greeley.
     In Ault, go east on hwy. 14 for 40 miles, to Reymer,
     turn left on dirt road 129, that takes you in.
3. Make sure you stop at the office in Greeley, 660 “O”
    Street, to get a map and information.
4. Bring food, water, extra clothing and a cell phone as there
    isn’t much out there.
5. Make sure you check the weather before going. 



Ken Papaleo
Colorado Nature Photographer



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive