Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Elk calves, Evergreen, Colorado.

Elk calves, Evergreen, Colorado.






"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 800
Shutter - 1/500 sec.
F/stop - 4.5
Lens - 70/200 zoom



LOCATION.
1. Evergreen is about a 1/2 hour west of  Denver.
2. Take the Evergreen Parkway exit off I-70.
3. You never know where the elk will be found, good places to start looking are Evergreen Lake, golf   
    course and any park or open space you come to.


THE CHALLENGE.
To get some nice shoots of the new calves in the Evergreen area.  The biggest part of this was doing it safely. The cows are very protective of their young and will attack if you get to close!


THE SOLUTION.
I used a 500 mm lens whenever I could. It gave me nice access to the elk, without bothering them. Than I ran across a Evergreen mom and daughter, who informed me of a location where many calves  could be found (By-the-way mom, THANKS). After viewing the location, the 500 lens was out, to tight of a situation. They were right next to the dirt road on a curve and I didn't want to take the chance of getting our of my vehicle. Over the years I have discovered that the elk in Evergreen are very use to automobiles. Using this, I put on my 70-200 zoom, opened my window and slowly drove in among them and stopped. They weren't upset and went on with their business while I shot for about 10 minutes. The images were very rewarding and I did it the safe way.


OTHER CALF PHOTOS FROM EVERGREEN.





























ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Wold Life Photographer
303-674-0615



About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive