Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Ten Year Anniversary of Colorado's Largest Wildfire, The Hayman..

Ten Year Anniversary of Colorado's Largest Wildfire, The Hayman..





"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS Mark II
ISO - 500
Shutter - 1/160 sec.
F/stop - 13
Lens - 70/200 zoom



LOCATION.
North west of Deckers, near Cheeseman Reservoir, on Forest Road 211, off of County Road 126.

CHALLENGE.
This is the 10th anniversary of Colorado's Hayman Fire, the state's largest. I photographed the fire while working for the Rocky Mountain News and we won a Pulitzer Prize for our photo coverage. Wanting to go back and see what things looked like now, I made it the subject of this week's blog.  

SOLUTION.
I drove some of the same roads that I had driven before. The new aspen growth was impressive along with some wildflowers in the area. At dusk, the dead standing trees were used against a great sky or burned off mountains, to create some nice images. But any growth of fur trees was small and it will take around 100 years for the forest to be back the way it was before the fire.


OTHER PHOTOS FROM THE HAYMAN BURN AREA.




































ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW.

Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape Photographer
303-674-0615




About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive