Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Guanella Pass, Idaho Springs, Colorado.

Guanella Pass, Idaho Springs, Colorado.







"X Shot" information.
Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO - 800
Shutter - 1/125 sec.
F/stop - 16 
Lens - 16/35 zoom


LOCATION.
1. Drive time from Denver to Guanella Pass is about an hour.
2. The pass can be reached from down town Georgetown.
3. The road is completely paved to the town of Grant, on HWY 285.


THE CHALLENGE.
I saw this shot after the sun went down at the top of the pass. At sundown, if possible, I try to be in a location where I can see a lot. Here I had a 360 degree view.  To record this image I had to take into consideration the proper exposure and depth of field, to make it work.


THE SOLUTION.
To make sure everything from the grass in the foreground to the clouds in the background were sharp, I picked an f/stop of 16, using a 16-35 mm zoom lens. This would give me the depth of field I needed. Than a light reading was taking off the reflection, using a telephoto lens, with the f/top still at 16. The shutter speed turned out to be 1/125 sec.  Putting the wide angle lens back on, using 1/125 shutter and the f/stop of 16, I composed my shot.  Back at my computer when working the image, a little burning on the sky took place. 



OTHER PHOTOS FROM GUNELLA PASS.
























 













ALL PHOTOS ARE FOR SALE, CONTACT EMAIL ADRESS BELOW.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape Photographer.
303-674-0615





About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive