Ken Papaleo: X Marks the Shot: Summer Scenics in the Aspen, Colorado, Area.

Summer Scenics in the Aspen, Colorado, Area.






"X-Shot" information.
ISO - 100
Shutter - 1/5 sec.
F/stop - 16
Lens - 70/200 zoom


LOCATION.
1. Aspen is about a 5 hour drive from Denver.
2. Good places to shoot are Maroon Bells, Ashcroft, Basalt and up behind Ruedi Reservoir.
3. If you go to the Maroon Bells, there are driving restrictions during the day, you have to take a bus in.
   You can drive in before 7 am or after 5 pm, which is the best shooting time anyway. 


CHALLENGE.
I was spending the mornings and evenings shooting wildflowers at the above locations. Once the good light was gone I decided to try for a real nice running stream shot.


THE SOLUTION.
First thing to do was find a nice location, totally in the shade. I found this one in the Maroon Bells.  Being in the shade would let me use a slow shutter speed with a high f/stop. This combination would give me the blurry look in the water and everything in focus. I didn't have my tripod with me, don't use one unless it is really necessary, so I found a rock, laid my coat on it and then placed my camera on top, in position. This gave me solid shooting platform. 


OTHER SCENIC SHOOTS FROM THE ASPEN AREA.



























All photos are for sale, contact email address below.


Ken Papaleo
Colorado Landscape Photographer
303-674-0615


About Me

My photo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
I worked for the Rocky Mountain News for 28 years, until they went out of business. I now do freelance work, post this weekly blog, ski and play with my four grand children. I still have the love to get out and take photographs, which brings me great peace and comfort.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive